uTalk

Official forum for Utopia Community

You are not logged in.

#26 2023-04-05 06:13:56

Camavinga

Re: Open Source - again!

Detroit;6711 wrote:

But whatever source they are, either open or closed are they open to everyone to know? I think some may never tell you until you've gotten deep with them.

I don’t really get your point, an open source project is one that is open for everyone and anyone to verify the codes that the developers used, while in a closed source project you cannot verify the codes by yourself, this is the reason more people like open source projects more.

#27 2023-04-05 17:29:57

full

Camavinga;6804 wrote:
Detroit;6711 wrote:

But whatever source they are, either open or closed are they open to everyone to know? I think some may never tell you until you've gotten deep with them.

I don’t really get your point, an open source project is one that is open for everyone and anyone to verify the codes that the developers used, while in a closed source project you cannot verify the codes by yourself, this is the reason more people like open source projects more.

Despite how an open-source application makes everything public so that people can verify the source code to be clean and with no backdoor or log. It also makes the application vulnerable to attack either.

#28 2023-04-05 18:10:26

Detroit

Camavinga;6804 wrote:
Detroit;6711 wrote:

What I am trying to say is that some projects may claim to be open source and at the end of the day you realized that they are hiding something which makes it a scam.

#29 2023-04-06 06:00:55

Camavinga

full;6828 wrote:

Despite how an open-source application makes everything public so that people can verify the source code to be clean and with no backdoor or log. It also makes the application vulnerable to attack either.

Every application, whether it is open source or close source is vulnerable to attacts, bugs, etc, it depends on how fast the developers spot it and act. It is even better in open source projects because the users can spot the attacks and report it, but in a closed source project only the devs can find out about the attacks.

#30 2023-04-06 11:45:15

Lanistergame2

Detroit;6829 wrote:

What I am trying to say is that some projects may claim to be open source and at the end of the day you realized that they are hiding something which makes it a scam.

If a project is fully open source, then every code used is verifiable, they would only be able to hide something if you do not know how to check or what to do on their github. With closed source you can not verify anything cause it is all hidden.

There is a slight risk of a dev slipping a backdoor in with an ope source project, but that is a very slim possibility.

#31 2023-04-06 19:21:05

Detroit

Lanistergame2;6953 wrote:
Detroit;6829 wrote:

If a project is fully open source, then every code used is verifiable, they would only be able to hide something if you do not know how to check or what to do on their github. With closed source you can not verify anything cause it is all hidden.

There is a slight risk of a dev slipping a backdoor in with an ope source project, but that is a very slim possibility.

Okay,  thanks for fit highlighting that out. I will also like to know how to cross check or verify if a unit or platform is an open or closed source. Is it something for the computer nerds or fit everyone?

#32 2023-04-07 05:36:02

Camavinga

Detroit;6965 wrote:

Okay,  thanks for fit highlighting that out. I will also like to know how to cross check or verify if a unit or platform is an open or closed source. Is it something for the computer nerds or fit everyone?

People who are tech-savvy can do it easily, but if you are not, you won’t be able to do it, unless you learn to do so and then understand how to verify codes. But for now if you know nothing about coding, you cannot verify anything, but if the open source network is a big one, there will be many people verifying the code on a per hour basis on average, so maybe you may not worry in such situation.

#33 2023-04-07 15:50:51

oba

Detroit;6965 wrote:
Detroit;6829 wrote:

There are two methods for testing or verifying open-source code. The first method is to compare checksums, while the second, more robust method is to use PGP.
In other words. The process is detecting variations between a smart contract's source code and the compiled bytecode utilized during contract generation.

#34 2023-04-07 18:14:38

Detroit

oba;7110 wrote:
Detroit;6965 wrote:

There are two methods for testing or verifying open-source code. The first method is to compare checksums, while the second, more robust method is to use PGP.
In other words. The process is detecting variations between a smart contract's source code and the compiled bytecode utilized during contract generation.

What are checksums and bytecode? Are these visible to everybody?
Also, what is PGP? Those variations are supposed to be regular to confirm it is an open source?

#35 2023-04-07 21:04:49

joanna

Detroit;6829 wrote:

It is not every project that's on Github is open source. A project can be classified as open source when they make its source code available to the public through its Githug official account.

#36 2023-04-07 21:08:29

IyaJJJ

Detroit;6829 wrote:
Camavinga;6804 wrote:
Detroit;6711 wrote:

Trust Wallet is an example of what you said here. They claimed to be open source but their source code is not available for the public to review and that's the reason you'll never see long-term and genuine cryptocurrency enthusiasts that trust the wallet.

#37 2023-04-08 12:13:19

Detroit

IyaJJJ;7170 wrote:
Detroit;6829 wrote:
Camavinga;6804 wrote:

Trust Wallet is an example of what you said here. They claimed to be open source but their source code is not available for the public to review and that's the reason you'll never see long-term and genuine cryptocurrency enthusiasts that trust the wallet.

Such platforms should be shutdown.  I have actually imagined cryptocurrency having such a body where they regulate and dictate misleading projects and shut them down.

#38 2023-04-08 12:24:57

Lanistergame2

Detroit;7210 wrote:

Such platforms should be shutdown. I have actually imagined cryptocurrency having such a body where they regulate and dictate misleading projects and shut them down.

That is an extreme measure if you ask me. It is a bad practice to be covert about if your source code is open source or not and I would advice people to look for open source alternatives to it, but that does not call for a shutdown.

A regulatory body for a decentralized industry contradicts why the industry exists at all. Regulations are not a solution to problems but a way for governments to gain control.

#39 2023-04-08 12:45:43

Detroit

Lanistergame2;7215 wrote:
Detroit;7210 wrote:

Such platforms should be shutdown. I have actually imagined cryptocurrency having such a body where they regulate and dictate misleading projects and shut them down.

That is an extreme measure if you ask me. It is a bad practice to be covert about if your source code is open source or not and I would advice people to look for open source alternatives to it, but that does not call for a shutdown.

A regulatory body for a decentralized industry contradicts why the industry exists at all. Regulations are not a solution to problems but a way for governments to gain control.

It doesn't have to be people to do it. They can find away to incorporate it into the blockchain system.  Many people do not know the difference between closed-source or open sources or scam projects.

#40 2023-04-08 12:54:31

Lanistergame2

Detroit;7220 wrote:

It doesn't have to be people to do it. They can find away to incorporate it into the blockchain system. Many people do not know the difference between closed-source or open sources or scam projects.

It is incorporated into the system and anyone who knows what they are doing would be able to find out. Also anyone who does not know how to check can their research cause there would be content online about which project is open source or closed source.

Some who are aware of trust wallet not being open source found out through other people's comments on it.

#41 2023-05-01 23:56:09

joanna

Detroit;7220 wrote:
Detroit;7210 wrote:

It doesn't have to be people to do it. They can find away to incorporate it into the blockchain system.  Many people do not know the difference between closed-source or open sources or scam projects.

When we say many people dont know the different between close source and scam project this is only applicable to the newbies who enter the market just to make profit. However, regulation is not the solution.

#42 2023-05-02 19:11:33

Detroit

joanna;7335 wrote:
Detroit;7220 wrote:

When we say many people dont know the different between close source and scam project this is only applicable to the newbies who enter the market just to make profit. However, regulation is not the solution.

What do you think is the problem? Mind you I didn't say it was the problem but it is the solution for a safer cryptic urgency environment. Teaching users how to detect scam projects would be also beneficial.

#43 2023-05-03 18:41:06

oba

Lanistergame2;7222 wrote:
Detroit;7220 wrote:

It doesn't have to be people to do it. They can find away to incorporate it into the blockchain system. Many people do not know the difference between closed-source or open sources or scam projects.

It is incorporated into the system and anyone who knows what they are doing would be able to find out. Also anyone who does not know how to check can their research cause there would be content online about which project is open source or closed source.

Some who are aware of trust wallet not being open source found out through other people's comments on it.

We are in 21 century and I don't think it should be hard for anyone to know or differentiate the difference between open-source and close source projects if they are not the lazy type that only rely on people's comments.

#44 2023-05-03 22:41:26

full

oba;7489 wrote:
Detroit;7220 wrote:

We are in 21 century and I don't think it should be hard for anyone to know or differentiate the difference between open-source and close source projects if they are not the lazy type that only rely on people's comments.

Meanwhile relying on people's comments is one of the important things a cryptocurrency enthusiast must ignore that's if the person wants to go far in this crypto market and also make a profit either.

#45 2023-05-03 22:46:45

joanna

full;7550 wrote:
oba;7489 wrote:

Meanwhile relying on people's comments is one of the important things a cryptocurrency enthusiast must ignore that's if the person wants to go far in this crypto market and also make a profit either.

DYOR is the best policy in the cryptocurrency market it doesn't only save investors but also let them make the right decision. About the trust wallet, they only feed people with lies whereas the wallet is not open source.

#46 2023-05-03 22:47:26

level

joanna;7555 wrote:
full;7550 wrote:
oba;7489 wrote:

DYOR is the best policy in the cryptocurrency market it doesn't only save investors but also let them make the right decision. About the trust wallet, they only feed people with lies whereas the wallet is not open source.

People don't actually make use of Google to know if a project is open source because, with the help of the Utopia ChatGPT, we easily know that since the result of AI, chatbots are always accurate.

#47 2023-05-03 22:51:54

IyaJJJ

level;7556 wrote:
joanna;7555 wrote:
full;7550 wrote:

People don't actually make use of Google to know if a project is open source because, with the help of the Utopia ChatGPT, we easily know that since the result of AI, chatbots are always accurate.

Hmm, smart dude. You have does have a point about the use of the UtopiaP2P AI assistant to execute the area of knowing if a project is an open source or not and I believe the answer will be accurate if use the right keywords.

#48 2023-05-03 23:40:11

thrive

joanna;7555 wrote:
full;7550 wrote:
oba;7489 wrote:

The easiest way I know people can know if a project is open source is through the project license. Typically, an open-source project is distributed under an open-source license such as the GNU General Public License (GPL), the MIT License, or the Apache License. These licenses establish standard terms and conditions for use and allow others to freely share and modify the program.

#49 2023-05-03 23:44:46

Vastextension

thrive;7574 wrote:
joanna;7555 wrote:
full;7550 wrote:

The easiest way I know people can know if a project is open source is through the project license. Typically, an open-source project is distributed under an open-source license such as the GNU General Public License (GPL), the MIT License, or the Apache License. These licenses establish standard terms and conditions for use and allow others to freely share and modify the program.

Another way is source code will be available to the public: The source code of an open-source project must be made available to the public for examination, modification, and dissemination.

#50 2023-05-04 18:28:40

Detroit

Vastextension;7576 wrote:
thrive;7574 wrote:
joanna;7555 wrote:

Another way is source code will be available to the public: The source code of an open-source project must be made available to the public for examination, modification, and dissemination.

I think at this point we need to organize webinars on how to check for open-source projects and closed-source projects. Many people do not know how to check it or how it works.

Board footer