uTalk

Official forum for Utopia Community

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-15 15:10:56

lolapolooza

Endless Automatic Repair Loop

This started yesterday when my computer began freezing out of nowhere after being on just a few minutes. About five hours later, my Windows 10 32-bit computer has been caught up in an endless automatic repair loop. It automatically boots to an X drive and I cannot get it to boot back to C. So here's what I've tried (in no particular order):

Method 1: Use Check Disk Utility

Connect the Windows installation media or Recovery Drive/System Repair Disc to your PC, select your language preferences, and finally click Next button to continue.

Click Repair your computer at the bottom.
Choose Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Command Prompt.
Type chkdsk /f /r C: and then press Enter
Type exit and press Enter.
Restart your PC to see if the problem is fixed or not.
Method 2: Fix Boot and Rebuild BCD via Command Prompt

Open Command Prompt according to the steps in Method 1.
Type exe /rebuildbcd and press Enter.
Type exe /fixmbr and press Enter.
Typeexe /fixboot and press Enter.
Type exit and press Enter after completing each command successfully.
Restart your PC. If you are still stuck in Windows Automatic Repair loop, try the next method.
Method 5: Disable Automatic Startup Repair

In Command Prompt, type bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No and press Enter.
Restart your PC, the Automatic Startup Repair should be disabled and you might be able to access Windows 10 again.
If you need to again enable it, you can type bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled Yes in CMD and press Enter.
Method 6: Check Device Partition and OsdevicePartition

Sometimes, if your device partition values aren’t correct, you will stuck in Windows Automatic Repair loop. Now, follow these steps to remove the Windows 10 Automatic Repair couldn’t repair your PC error.

In Command Prompt, type bcdedit and press enter.
Find device partition and osdevice partition values and make sure their values are correct or set to correct partition. Because Windows come preinstalled on Cpartition only, the default and correct value is C:.Enter the following commands and press Enter after each one if the value isn’t set to C:
bcdedit /set {default} device partition=c:

bcdedit /set {default} osdevice partition=c:

After that, reboot PC and fix Automatic Repair couldn’t repair your PC error.
Also tried this:

Was the windows 10 iso made from the Microsoft website?
If not please find a flash drive that you can format (8GB or larger)
Make a bootable windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10

Was system restore attempted?
Did it fail?
If it was not attempted that should be the first step (start with the oldest restore point and move forward in time trying each restore point.)
If system restore failed or if there were no restore points move to the next step.
Was startup repair performed?
If not, then attempt startup repair.
If both system restore and startup repair fail move to command prompt.

The command prompt commands will attempt to :
1) repair OS
2) repair drive file system
2) repair boot
3) repair registry

If these steps fail the next step will be boot recovery.

Using a bootable windows 10 iso open command prompt > Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe > Sources X:>
1) type: bcdedit | find "osdevice"
(look for the drive letter for the partition)
2) type: C:
type: dir
3) type: D:
type: dir
(look for the drive that has windows and users)
4) type: X:
type: Sfc /Scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=G:\ /OFFWINDIR=G:\Windows
(change the letter G to the drive letter for the partition displayed in step #1)
This may take some time to run.
5) type C:
6) type: Chkdsk /f
7) type X:
9) type: bootrec /scanos
10) type: bootrec /fixmbr
11) type: bootrec /fixboot
12) type: bootrec /RebuildBcd
13) Use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures of the commands and results and post an image into the thread
14) reboot
15) report into the thread whether you were able to boot to wall paper/splash screen or whether there was an error message and error code or a failure to boot without error message and code.

If the above fails plan registry backup repair (these are windows advanced troubleshooting menu commands)

If the registry repair fails find another flash drive that you can format and make a boot rescue drive:
Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

I tried a few other things too, including Startup Repair and System Restore and Reset My PC (it goes right back to the preparing automatic repair/diagnosing pc/startup repair fail loop). I get something about a strtrail.txt in Logfiles and the attached file is what I get. So... no help, probably. So do I have to do a clean install/lose seven years of work on the only working desktop computer I have? I just want this endless loop to e

Board footer