uTalk

Official forum for Utopia Community

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-30 08:12:36

Drassen

Home network public or private which is best?

Which network setting provides the best protection of my home network. Setting it to private or public. I have been using private thinking it offered the best security than I watched a YouTube video that now has me completely confused. The video implied setting it to public makes it more secure.
Any comments will be appreciated

#2 2021-03-30 08:18:43

Ollester

Re: Home network public or private which is best?

I believe they're implemented as follows to simply summarize

Public protects your device from being identifiable on the network, Imagine your pc is in a public space do you really want people to find your device easily, potentially attacking your device or accessing features of it?

Home/Private:This device is used on your personal home network therefor you trust all the devices present in it as such you allow devices to be able to take advantage of features such as Mapping drives or creating Homegroups.

Tbh if you're not going to make use of any features offered in the Home network it is not worth considering and you should always opt for the Public option, as soon as you wish to make use of the features of Private you can switch this yourself from your control panel options.

#3 2021-09-20 16:46:10

Unstressed

Re: Home network public or private which is best?

Private is the best in any case.

Board footer