uTalk

Official forum for Utopia Community

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-11 19:57:41

IyaJJJ

Twitter is now offering encrypted direct messages to verified users.

5aGwmRf.png
After Elon Musk, the company's chief executive, announced plans for the feature in November 2022, Twitter is now officially starting to roll out support for encrypted direct messages (DMs) on the platform.

The "Phase 1" of the initiative will show up in users' inboxes alongside current direct messages as separate conversations. To visually identify encrypted chats, they have a lock icon badge.

However, the opt-in feature is only available to verified users or those who are connected to a verified organization. Furthermore, it is crucial that the sender and recipient are using the most recent Twitter apps for Android, iOS, and desktop web.

Another requirement for sending and receiving encrypted messages is that the recipient follow the sender, have sent a message to the sender in the past, or have previously agreed to the sender's request for a direct message.

Twitter said it uses a "combination of strong cryptographic schemes" to encrypt users' messages, links, and reactions, though it did not specify the specific technique it employs to safeguard the conversations.

It emphasized once more that the receiver is the only one who can decrypt the encrypted chat contents; they do not change while being stored on its infrastructure. Later this year, the implementation is anticipated to be open sourced.

That said, the work-in-progress nature of the project also means that it does not support encrypted group conversations or allow exchanging media and other file attachments. Some other notable restrictions are as follows -

1 Users can only register a maximum of up to 10 devices to send and receive encrypted messages.
2 New devices (where the Twitter app is re-installed) cannot partake in existing encrypted conversations
3 Logging out from Twitter will calls all messages including encrypted DMs to be deleted from the current device

Could this be another competitor?

#2 2023-05-11 20:24:46

thrive

Re: Twitter is now offering encrypted direct messages to verified users.

If you relate to this being a competitor to the UtopiaP2P ecosystem messenger. You must be joking because there's no way the Twitter encrypted messaging service will match up with the Utopia encrypted message.

#3 2023-05-11 20:27:03

IyaJJJ

thrive;8185 wrote:

If you relate to this being a competitor to the UtopiaP2P ecosystem messenger. You must be joking because there's no way the Twitter encrypted messaging service will match up with the Utopia encrypted message.

It's a question though but you seem to take it personally and this is a discussion forum where we can share knowledge, thoughts, and other meaningful things.
I am just surprised by the idea when I read about it.

#4 2023-05-11 20:33:19

thrive

IyaJJJ;8186 wrote:
thrive;8185 wrote:

It's a question though but you seem to take it personally and this is a discussion forum where we can share knowledge, thoughts, and other meaningful things.

You have a point and sorry if it appears to you that I take the situation personal. I am just spitting out the fact because the Twitter platform is centralized while UtopiaP2P is decentralized and there's no way a centralized platform won't be manipulated.

#5 2023-05-11 20:36:33

IyaJJJ

thrive;8187 wrote:
IyaJJJ;8186 wrote:
thrive;8185 wrote:

You have a point and sorry if it appears to you that I take the situation personal. I am just spitting out the fact because the Twitter platform is centralized while UtopiaP2P is decentralized and there's no way a centralized platform won't be manipulated.

Yes, there's no way a centralized platform won't be manipulated and the Twitter's new encrypted message concept could be any strategy used by the government to access people's secret and private communication.

#6 2023-05-11 20:37:40

thrive

IyaJJJ;8188 wrote:
thrive;8187 wrote:
IyaJJJ;8186 wrote:

Yes, there's no way a centralized platform won't be manipulated and the Twitter's new encrypted message concept could be any strategy used by the government to access people's secret and private communication.

This could be the reason for the encrypted messaging creation because Elon Musk himself once claim the government had access to some private communication of Twitter users under the administration of the previous Chief and I don't see anything stopping now from happening through the Twitter new encrypted messages.

#7 2023-05-11 20:38:29

IyaJJJ

thrive;8189 wrote:
IyaJJJ;8188 wrote:
thrive;8187 wrote:

This could be the reason for the encrypted messaging creation because Elon Musk himself once claim the government had access to some private communication of Twitter users under the administration of the previous Chief and I don't see anything stopping now from happening through the Twitter new encrypted messages.

Aside from your prediction about what could be the reason for the Twitter encrypted messages feature. If you read the article I posted it's stated that "Users can only register a maximum of up to 10 devices to send and receive encrypted messages"

#8 2023-05-11 20:40:51

thrive

IyaJJJ;8190 wrote:
thrive;8189 wrote:
IyaJJJ;8188 wrote:

Aside from your prediction about what could be the reason for the Twitter encrypted messages feature. If you read the article I posted it's stated that "Users can only register a maximum of up to 10 devices to send and receive encrypted messages"

Definitely, this proves the impression I had about the concept of Twitter encrypted message communication to be true because you can't trust every centralized platform that offers private communication.
Glad i know the UtopiaP2P.

#9 2023-05-11 20:42:50

IyaJJJ

thrive;8191 wrote:
IyaJJJ;8190 wrote:
thrive;8189 wrote:

Definitely, this proves the impression I had about the concept of Twitter encrypted message communication to be true because you can't trust every centralized platform that offers private communication.

I'm glad I also know the UtopiaP2P ecosystem and I know it's going to be the good one ever since I first learn about the project. I just hope the information provided on this topic will be enough to lecture other users.

#10 2023-05-11 20:45:28

thrive

IyaJJJ;8192 wrote:
thrive;8191 wrote:
IyaJJJ;8190 wrote:

I'm glad I also know the UtopiaP2P ecosystem and I know it's going to be the good one ever since I first learn about the project. I just hope the information provided on this topic will be enough to lecture other users.

I believe it's enough to lecture about the right platform to use for encrypted communication but human will always be human and you'll shock that some people despite they know what's right, they will still choose the wrong move or decision.

#11 2023-05-11 20:48:47

IyaJJJ

thrive;8193 wrote:
IyaJJJ;8192 wrote:
thrive;8191 wrote:

I believe it's enough to lecture about the right platform to use for encrypted communication but human will always be human and you'll shock that some people despite they know what's right, they will still choose the wrong move or decision.

Then you have to let it burn and it is what it is. However, I never pity such people for their immature behavior though. Another drawback about encrypted messages is that new devices cannot partake in existing encrypted conversations

#12 2023-05-11 20:55:26

full

I once read that the construction used to create the Twitter encrypted message does not offer protections against man-in-the-middle attacks and does not ensure forward secrecy.

#13 2023-05-11 20:56:00

thrive

IyaJJJ;8194 wrote:
thrive;8193 wrote:
IyaJJJ;8192 wrote:

Then you have to let it burn and it is what it is. However, I never pity such people for their immature behavior though. Another drawback about encrypted messages is that new devices cannot partake in existing encrypted conversations

LMAO.
Wonder shall never end. A friend once advise that it is better to for something that's original than buy a fake product which will literally make you spend more on the same product you could have gotten once if purchase the original.

#14 2023-05-11 20:58:02

joanna

full;8195 wrote:

I once read that the construction used to create the Twitter encrypted message does not offer protections against man-in-the-middle attacks and does not ensure forward secrecy.

That mean no tangible security measure is put place to guarantees that the compromise of one session key will not affect data shared using the Twitter encrypted messaging.
I will past.

#15 2023-05-11 21:00:03

thrive

joanna;8199 wrote:
full;8195 wrote:

That mean no tangible security measure is put place to guarantees that the compromise of one session key will not affect data shared using the Twitter encrypted messaging.
I will past.

Smart ass. If you read further you'll know that there is also another flaw which says that "Logging out from Twitter will call all messages including encrypted DMs to be deleted from the current device".

#16 2023-05-11 21:02:06

joanna

thrive;8200 wrote:
joanna;8199 wrote:
full;8195 wrote:

I will past.

Smart ass. If you read further you'll know that there is also another flaw which says that "Logging out from Twitter will call all messages including encrypted DMs to be deleted from the current device".

But come to think of it. What's Elon Musk thinking when he create the Twitter encrypted messaging features because this is totally a No No for me and I am not privacy enthusiasts will like the concept used to create the messaging.

#17 2023-05-11 21:03:48

full

joanna;8201 wrote:
thrive;8200 wrote:
joanna;8199 wrote:

I will past.

But come to think of it. What's Elon Musk thinking when he create the Twitter encrypted messaging features because this is totally a No No for me and I am not privacy enthusiasts will like the concept used to create the messaging.

I guess he was thinking about attracting more money to the Twitter social media space since he has to make the money invested to purchase the Twitter company and that's he's introducing different features.

#18 2023-05-11 21:05:32

IyaJJJ

full;8202 wrote:
joanna;8201 wrote:
thrive;8200 wrote:

I guess he was thinking about attracting more money to the Twitter social media space since he has to make the money invested to purchase the Twitter company and that's he's introducing different features.

The sad truth is that most of the features Elon Musk is introducing hurt the feelings of most of the Twitter users and I wish to see the UtopiaP2P having a privacy social media that will be big as Twitter.

#19 2023-05-11 21:08:32

full

IyaJJJ;8204 wrote:
full;8202 wrote:
joanna;8201 wrote:

The sad truth is that most of the features Elon Musk is introducing hurt the feelings of most of the Twitter users and I wish to see the UtopiaP2P having a privacy social media that will be big as Twitter.

You're right I could remember when he remove the blue mark on a lot of people's Twitter accounts before getting it back online.
I like Elon Musk as a person but his naive behavior and decision make me want to punch him in the face sometime.

#20 2023-05-11 21:11:37

joanna

full;8207 wrote:
IyaJJJ;8204 wrote:
full;8202 wrote:

You're right I could remember when he remove the blue mark on a lot of people's Twitter accounts before getting it back online.
I like Elon Musk as a person but his naive behavior and decision make me want to punch him in the face sometime.

You know there's no need for that because Elon Musk himself has announced his stepping down as Twitter CEO by putting an unnamed woman as a replacement for him at the end of June.

#21 2023-05-11 21:13:44

IyaJJJ

joanna;8208 wrote:
full;8207 wrote:
IyaJJJ;8204 wrote:

You know there's no need for that because Elon Musk himself has announced his stepping down as Twitter CEO by putting an unnamed woman as a replacement for him at the end of June.

That's cool and I am sure a lot of people will be happy about this announcement while some will be sad but I hope this announcement is for real this time because the guy can be unpredictable sometimes.

#22 2023-05-11 22:52:01

full

IyaJJJ;8209 wrote:
joanna;8208 wrote:
full;8207 wrote:

That's cool and I am sure a lot of people will be happy about this announcement while some will be sad but I hope this announcement is for real this time because the guy can be unpredictable sometimes.

Who won't be happy about this announcement? After Elon Musk sacked a lot of Twitter workers, the social media service was sloppy sometimes and different issues happened at some point. I am sure a lot of people will be happy.

#23 2023-05-11 22:54:05

joanna

full;8247 wrote:
IyaJJJ;8209 wrote:
joanna;8208 wrote:

Who won't be happy about this announcement? After Elon Musk sacked a lot of Twitter workers, the social media service was sloppy sometimes and different issues happened at some point. I am sure a lot of people will be happy.

Speaking of Twitter encrypted messaging I did some research and I find out that "if the private key of a registered device was compromised, an attacker would be able to decrypt all of the encrypted messages that were sent and received by that device"

#24 2023-05-11 22:58:09

full

joanna;8248 wrote:
full;8247 wrote:
IyaJJJ;8209 wrote:

Speaking of Twitter encrypted messaging I did some research and I find out that "if the private key of a registered device was compromised, an attacker would be able to decrypt all of the encrypted messages that were sent and received by that device"

I guess this explains the reason why the company never discloses the exact method they used to secure the user's conversations. Honestly centralized platforms are worse.

#25 2023-05-11 22:59:49

joanna

full;8249 wrote:
joanna;8248 wrote:
full;8247 wrote:

I guess this explains the reason why the company never discloses the exact method they used to secure the user's conversations. Honestly centralized platforms are worse.

The sad thing is that they claimed they employ a combination of strong cryptographic schemes to encrypt user's messages, links, and reactions.

Board footer