uTalk

Official forum for Utopia Community

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-30 21:17:23

thrive

Making use of ChatGPT illegally

The Europol Innovation Lab organized a number of workshops with subject matter experts from across Europol to examine how criminals can abuse large language models (LLMs) like ChatGPT as well as how it may help investigators in their daily work. This was done in response to the growing public interest in ChatGPT.

The purpose of this report is to promote the development of secure and reliable AI systems by increasing awareness of the potential misuse of LLMs, starting a conversation with AI companies to help them implement better safeguards, and raising awareness of the potential misuse of LLMs. Only law enforcement was given access to a longer, more in-depth version of this report.

How do large language models work?
An AI system that can process, manipulate, and generate text is known as a large language model.

Large amounts of information, including books, articles, and websites, are fed to an LLM during training so that it can discover word patterns and connections and produce new content.

As part of a research preview in November 2022, OpenAI released ChatGPT, an LLM, to the general public.

The current publicly available model underpinning ChatGPT is capable of processing and producing human-like text in response to user requests. In particular, the model is capable of responding to queries on a range of subjects, translating text, having conversations (or "chatting"), creating new content, and writing useful code.

Large Language Models' negative side.
Even though the capabilities of LLMs like ChatGPT are constantly being enhanced, the prospect of criminals abusing these kinds of AI systems is bleak.

The three crime hotspots listed below are just a few of the many concerns noted by Europol's experts.

Fraud and social engineering: ChatGPT can create text that is incredibly realistic, which makes it a useful tool for phishing. It is possible to imitate a particular person's or group's speech patterns using LLMs' capacity to reproduce language patterns. This capability can be used extensively to deceive prospective victims into putting their trust in the hands of criminal actors.
Misinformation: ChatGPT is incredibly fast and efficient at producing text that sounds real. Because users can easily create and disseminate messages reflecting a particular narrative, the model is perfect for propaganda and disinformation.
Cybercrime: ChatGPT can produce code in a number of different programming languages in addition to human-like language. This is a priceless resource for someone looking to commit crime but lacking in technical expertise to create malicious code.
It will be more crucial than ever for law enforcement to stay abreast of technological advancements as new models become accessible in order to foresee and stop abuse.

#2 2023-05-30 21:40:09

Vastextension

Re: Making use of ChatGPT illegally

After reading this article i now understand that it all innovative tools that the bad actors can use for their selfish gain since they can also the ChatGPT to recreate language patterns can be used to imitate a certain person's or group's speech habits.

#3 2023-05-30 21:41:32

joanna

Vastextension;10964 wrote:

After reading this article i now understand that it all innovative tools that the bad actors can use for their selfish gain since they can also the ChatGPT to recreate language patterns can be used to imitate a certain person's or group's speech habits.

I never know that ChatGPT as ability and a lot of potential applications for tricking potential victims into putting their trust in criminal actors.

#4 2023-05-30 21:45:39

level

joanna;10965 wrote:

I never know that ChatGPT as ability and a lot of potential applications for tricking potential victims into putting their trust in criminal actors.

I'm aware that in addition to human-like language, ChatGPT can also generate code in a variety of programming languages but I never know it can be used as a resource for bad actors to commit crimes by creating malicious code.

#5 2023-05-30 21:47:49

oba

level;10968 wrote:
joanna;10965 wrote:

I'm aware that in addition to human-like language, ChatGPT can also generate code in a variety of programming languages but I never know it can be used as a resource for bad actors to commit crimes by creating malicious code.

As new models ChatGPT, tech become available, it will be more important than ever for people to keep up with technical changes in order to anticipate and stop abuse.

Last edited by oba (2023-05-30 21:51:16)

#6 2023-05-30 21:54:16

thrive

Yes, the most important thing is for people to be ahead of every new innovation and technology to prevent being a victim of online theft.

#7 2023-05-30 23:00:11

Europ

thrive;10973 wrote:

Yes, the most important thing is for people to be ahead of every new innovation and technology to prevent being a victim of online theft.

Exactly and it will be advisable to do personal research on all information received through  unsecured platform and media.

#8 2023-05-31 19:49:37

MRBEAST

Correct me guys if I am wrong but the UtopiaP2P chatGPT is a service that's on the UtopiaP2P messenger right, so if one isn't on the UtopiaP2P messenger they can't make use of the chatGPT service.

Board footer