uTalk

Official forum for Utopia Community

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-26 11:43:02

lolapolooza

Spywares and Privacy Mantra

Hi guys, I have a question for you.
How do I know if my antivirus scanner is not working correctly? I mean when the antivirus misses malware and viruses. I tried installing a free version of Webroot and it found a W32 / OnlineG-Z on my pc, but it would not quarintine it unless I registered. I have Norton Anti-virus and it doesn't pick up anything of that sort. I want to know what to look for exactly when I look for keyloggers or spyware. I do not understand what all the files mean in System32, where I read is believed to be most spywares.

Also, is Privacy Mantra safe?

#2 2021-01-26 18:33:18

Dr-Hack

Re: Spywares and Privacy Mantra

Assuming your machine is infected in that case your AV might not behave the way it is suppose too ..
However, I would recommend you try out Malwarebytes -it has a name in industry [https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/] . If it still detects any malware the most simple way which I often do on machines which need some cleaning.

Make a Live USB with a Windows ISO and boot from the LIVE USB. now your master drive (HDD) is dormant and not running anything. Once booted into the live usb download Malwarebytes and give your HDD a deep scan and remove what ever virus it shows. Once all comes up clean you boot back in your actual OS and it shouldn't have any virus anymore.

Virus often inject themselves to the data streams of the running processes and as the file is in use at times it is difficult for AV to get a finger on them.

There are two things you should be aware off .
1. If your OS is badly infected, cleaning your OS through the above mentioned method may leave your OS not able to boot any more and you will need to resort to recovery methods
2. AV's do show false positives if you play games and have various mods /hack tools etc .. for instance CheatEngine is detected as a Virus while it's a very good moding tool..

Download stuff from reputed sources only and only keeping Windows Security updated is enough, be mindful that running more then one AV would do more harm thn good.

Hope it helps !!!

#3 2021-01-27 10:23:42

HanBaoCinch

Here is a write-up from Sophos:

http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses … inegz.html

Can you find the mentioned files on your computer?

I would suggest running an on-line scan:

Please run the Housecall online virus scan located at:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/houseca … t_corp.asp
Follow the prompts to scan your hard drive for viruses. Select the "Autoclean" option so that Housecall will remove any viruses from your system.
When the scan is finished, please restart your computer.

Does Housecall come up clean?

I have never heard of Privacy Mantra before.

#4 2021-01-27 11:56:31

Drassen

I hadn't heard of it either, but I do see what it does. CCleaner is free and seems to do the same - but more. Not to mention the fact that we've heard of it and it's used by many. It's in the "Free Cleaning Programs" section.

Board footer