uTalk

Official forum for Utopia Community

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-14 12:38:52

Drassen

Why It’s Dangerous to Share Your Birthday Online?

Hello, Utopians!

Look what I've thought about. Of course all of us share photos from our Birthday party and also there are many who make their Birthday date public in social media. On the one hand, we simply want more people to congratulate us, but on the other hand, it can be even dangerous.

Many of you will ask why, right? The answer is simple:

1. Our birth date is often used as a security question.
2. Still there are some sillies that use the combination of birth date as a password.
3. Being a USA citizen, your social security number can be guessed.

So what do you think, am I paranoid about it? I know that many people here care about their security more than usual internet users. But still that question seems important for me.

#2 2021-01-14 13:28:29

lolapolooza

Re: Why It’s Dangerous to Share Your Birthday Online?

Hmm, I want to note that you are not paranoid  big_smile Indeed, such seemingly non-obvious things are very good clues for cybercriminals or just stalkers. Therefore, I believe that every user should be aware that any personal data on the Internet deprives users of their privacy. cool

#3 2021-01-15 08:10:21

Makedonskiy

I don't think anything. You just don't need to" shine " personal information anywhere. From a nickname, you can make a mini-brand, then you will be trusted everywhere!

#4 2021-01-15 08:33:55

Drassen

lolapolooza;138 wrote:

Hmm, I want to note that you are not paranoid  big_smile Indeed, such seemingly non-obvious things are very good clues for cybercriminals or just stalkers. Therefore, I believe that every user should be aware that any personal data on the Internet deprives users of their privacy. cool

And I wonder what else similar things we have to mention. Like it's not so obvious and we have to be more careful about anything shared. Like pet name or photo views.. On the whole, looks like we have to forget about sharing anything at all. It will be so sad.

#5 2021-01-15 08:46:19

HanBaoCinch

Well, people often post photos of plane tickets or concert tickets on the Internet, forgetting to remove personal data. In this case, cybercriminals simply "steal" their identity.

#6 2021-01-16 08:40:11

lolapolooza

HanBaoCinch;144 wrote:

Well, people often post photos of plane tickets or concert tickets on the Internet, forgetting to remove personal data. In this case, cybercriminals simply "steal" their identity.

Yes, sharing personal information such as date of birth, pet names, and so on is quite dangerous. Usually, this data is needed in order to restore access to your account in case of password loss. But after all, having learned this information, attackers can also gain access to the page. This approach to hacking online accounts is called social engineering. Fortunately, many people today set up two-factor authentication, and to recover the password, you must enter the code that comes to the phone number.

#7 2021-01-18 14:20:20

HanBaoCinch

lolapolooza;156 wrote:

<div class="quotebox"><cite>HanBaoCinch;144 wrote:</cite><blockquote><div><p>Well, people often post photos of plane tickets or concert tickets on the Internet, forgetting to remove personal data. In this case, cybercriminals simply &quot;steal&quot; their identity.</p></div></blockquote></div><p> Yes, sharing personal information such as date of birth, pet names, and so on is quite dangerous. Usually, this data is needed in order to restore access to your account in case of password loss. But after all, having learned this information, attackers can also gain access to the page. This approach to hacking online accounts is called social engineering. Fortunately, many people today set up two-factor authentication, and to recover the password, you must enter the code that comes to the phone number.</p>

YES, these are all really useful methods, but in my opinion 2-Step Verification is a good idea, but in practice it only makes it easier to gain access to your data. includes too many additional participants, which may also have their own vulnerabilities.

#8 2021-01-19 08:52:36

John_Sward28

You're not paranoid, you're absolutely right. And you should be especially careful with entering personal dates in the social network.
And it is even better to use 2-step verification, so that you are already sure!

#9 2021-01-19 20:48:51

Marker

I used to put my date of birth in social networks, and sometimes I used it in the password  ><  I don't do this anymore

#10 2021-01-20 14:01:52

lolapolooza

Haha. This is not a good idea in my opinion. In general, cybersecurity-focused users prefer to create completely random complex passwords and store them on paper. smile

#11 2021-01-21 12:01:41

Drassen

John_Sward28;173 wrote:

You're not paranoid, you're absolutely right. And you should be especially careful with entering personal dates in the social network.
And it is even better to use 2-step verification, so that you are already sure!

But 2 step verification requires a phone number, what I also don't really like and I think it can be dangerous also. Moreover, if my sim card will be lost, I couldn't enter the page anymore. I already faced such problems and prefer not to use it.

Board footer