uTalk

Official forum for Utopia Community

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-26 08:49:04

Ollester

Using "Run as Administrator" from a User Account

Hi,

I have a VPN program called Private Internet Access. It is really designed to run from an Administrator account. When I log onto my Administrator account on the computer, the VPN starts automatically and connects me to the VPN service. If I log on to my User account (which is what I usually use) the VPN does not start. However, if I right-click the Private Internet Access icon and select "Run as Administrator" then the VPN will start and connect me to the VPN service.

The reason that I almost always operate the computer as a User is that this provides much better security when surfing the internet, as compared to operating as an Administrator. But if I am running the VPN as an Administrator does this make me just as vulnerable to internet threats as if I were actually logged on as an Administrator, or do the Administrator rights only extend to the Private Internet Access program?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2021-01-26 16:44:16

TheMerchant

Re: Using "Run as Administrator" from a User Account

Great question! I will let Dr-Hack answer this one, but I just wanted to contribute by strongly recommending https://IVPN.net OR https://mullvad.net OR https://protonvpn.com as better alternatives over PIA, having spent countless hours researching the subject of VPNs from different angles.

"Honour Above Greed" -TheMerchant

#3 2021-01-26 18:21:43

Dr-Hack

Hey,
Some programs require Admin rights to program and as a VPN requires to connect through virtual NIC it can not do that without admin access ... it's a very good practice that you do not use your computer with an Administrator account. Windows has rolled out Mandatory Integrity Control (MIC) [https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window … ty-control] which keeps check on programs granted admin access through a non-admin account (user account) and ensures that the privilege is not extended to any other executable .

So the administrator rights only extend to your VPN i.e. PIA in your instance

You are good to go

#4 2021-01-27 10:26:53

HanBaoCinch

Administrator rights only extend to the program to which they are granted when you use "Run as Administrator" under a standard Win10 account.  I presume you're being prompted for the userid and password of the/an admin account when you do this, as the program will then be running under that user's credentials.

All other programs are running under the user that you're logged in as and with the permissions that user has.

#5 2021-01-29 13:58:50

Ollester

I cannot answer your direct question, and probably no one can.

There are so many techniques for getting around security that can be used that there is likely some way something might get in.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of viruses and malware of all types are directly "invited in" via end-user action.  Very few sneak in, as they don't need to.

If you follow even half of the recommendations in Quietman7's Best Practices for Safe Computing it is highly unlikely that you'd ever get an infection of any sort.  I've run under an administrator account (and ideally one shouldn't) for decades now, following my own subset of the recommendations Quietman7 makes, and I have not had an infection on any machine I use within memory (and I'm not losing my memory, thank heaven).

An ounce of prevention generally obviates the need for a pound of cure, and that ounce of prevention comes from what you, the end user, actually do.

#6 2021-01-31 16:48:31

HanBaoCinch

Shane from Tweaking.com (Windows Repair All-in-One, Registry Backup, etc.) and I once had a conversation about "UAC fatigue", in which users become so accustomed to clicking Yes to allow programs to execute that it almost becomes automatic.

Some malware can elevate privileges on their own, but often, users do it for them.

#7 2021-01-31 17:00:25

lolapolooza

Ugh.  If you want secure then just create a virutal machine and surf the web that way.  If it goes down it is so easy to rebuild it.

I suggest making a virtual with Linux because using a windows OS for it is quite expensive.

It is a spin from sandboxing the browser which was popular back in the hayday.

The idea is run the cookies all over the place.  The whole environment just gets flattened by the mad construction company and it is rebuilt by being a city project from the Mayor.  (and then you bill the person that wrecked your creation in the first place.)

#8 2021-02-08 14:44:08

HanBaoCinch

Why not just practice the very easy to follow safe computing practices that apply to one's own situation and avoid the whole hassle.  A great many of the things discussed there will not be pertinent to specific users.

If someone is getting infected on a constant basis then it is almost certainly their own behavior that's bringing this on.

This is a solution for a problem that needs a different one, not that it won't work, but it doesn't address the root issue.

#9 2021-02-08 14:46:10

Ollester

I agree.

I was concerned about whether I was leaving my entire computer open to malware by running only one program "As an Administrator". I think that you've answered that, and I will continue to use safe surfing practices.

Board footer