uTalk

Official forum for Utopia Community

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-01 17:55:47

Drassen

Offline storage of security credentials

Hi all,

After I recent bereavement in the family, I'm slowly working my way through the deceaseds financials and notifying banks, pension companies etc.. trying to put everything in order for his partner.

This got me thinking that I could make this whole process a lot less stressful for my family if anything happened to me by having the details of my life insurance, pensions, saving accounts, share trading accounts banking account and email account stored in some way that they would be safe but also easy to access should the worst happen.

The problem is I'm not sure what would be the best way to go about this. Ideally, I'd like some kind of USB stick that you need a password to access. Then I could store all the info in a text document inside. The security does not have to be unbreakable as the device would be stored in my home safe. So the security only has to be strong enough to keep the data safe until I know I have been robbed and can update my passwords in a timely manner.

Anyone else do this? I would love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks

#2 2021-03-01 17:59:44

Ollester

Re: Offline storage of security credentials

I keep a copy of all "can't lose" documents in cloud storage, and a duplicate copy on an external hard drive. I wouldn't personally trust a USB drive for long-term storage as they are made to be cheap, and that doesn't give me peace of mind.

However, before they go on there, I encrypt them with 7-zip, using a master password in order to see or access the files.

#3 2021-03-01 18:22:33

lolapolooza

Yes I agree. I would keep those documents in several places. Encrypt the archive with 7-zip.

If you want to go with USB drives, I would put 3 of them in 3 different places.

#4 2021-03-02 05:39:44

Drassen

Thanks for the feedback.
I note your comment about the unreliability of USB drives for long term storage, that is a good point.

Board footer