uTalk

Official forum for Utopia Community

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-26 13:55:52

Drassen

Whats your favorite linux distro and what do you use it for?

Linux forum seems a little inactive, I'd like to change that.

So, I'll start off! I'm currently using Linux Mint as my daily driver. I'm working on getting virtual machines to work, very unsuccessfully so far, lol! While most games run fine on linux these days, I'd like to have a windows 10 VM I can simply turn on whenever I wish to play something that I can't on linux. I know that basically every game can run on linux these days, but I'm not that good yet. So, in the interest of getting my to use linux as much as possible, I want to avoid dualbooting windows 10 like the plague. If anyone is interested in doing this with me, I am using THIS GUIDE

I also want to play around with other linux distros in VM's because it just seems easier. I also have a lot of computers and computer power around my house, I'd like to learn more about technology in general so I can make use of it. I have 2 Ryzen 2700X's each paired with 32GB of ram and 3 Ryzen 1700X's with 16GB of ram each. Each computer is pair with either a 1070ti or vega 64. Down the road I'd like to play with remote management, AI, building a NAS, having a local webserver so I can get back into webdesign and maybe throw in a few game servers because, why not?

#2 2021-04-26 13:59:29

Ollester

Re: Whats your favorite linux distro and what do you use it for?

Drassen;508 wrote:

I'd like to learn more about technology in general so I can make use of it. I have 2 Ryzen 2700X's each paired with 32GB of ram and 3 Ryzen 1700X's with 16GB of ram each. Each computer is pair with either a 1070ti or vega 64. Down the road I'd like to play with remote management, AI, building a NAS, having a local webserver so I can get back into webdesign and maybe throw in a few game servers because, why not?

Then you REALLY need to get out of VM and go to Dual Boot where you learn Linux.

For webdesign, I use Cygwin emulator on Win/7 where I can run AMP (Apache, MySql & PHP) that is native code which can be uploaded to a live server. Even Cygwin is better than any VM for learning. Yes, I can start a local Apache server on Win/7 -- even on my laptop.

#3 2021-04-27 08:37:32

Drassen

Re: Whats your favorite linux distro and what do you use it for?

Ollester;510 wrote:

Then you REALLY need to get out of VM and go to Dual Boot where you learn Linux.

For webdesign, I use Cygwin emulator on Win/7 where I can run AMP (Apache, MySql & PHP) that is native code which can be uploaded to a live server. Even Cygwin is better than any VM for learning. Yes, I can start a local Apache server on Win/7 -- even on my laptop.

I actually have my old laptop set up as a webserver on my LAN. It was many an experiment but I actually use it now. I Use LAMP. My whole deal is I'm trying to learn Linux and networking, everything else is just stuff for me too try when I'm bored or a way to test if things work.

Board footer