uTalk

Official forum for Utopia Community

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-14 11:47:31

lolapolooza

Cookie use (and abuse) across the web

Like most folks, I visit a lot of sites on the net but I've become increasingly conscious of what cookies are being stored on my computer. It might make an interesting report to a lot of readers to compare how user cookies are handled across various web sites. You could score various web sites on things such as the following:
Can marketing cookies be switched off?
How easy is it for a user to manage their use on a given site?
How many 3rd parties do your details get passed to?
Can all cookies be switched off?
Are tracking cookies used?
Will the company remove your details if asked to (this should be a matter of law according to GDPR rules)?
To make it more relevant to Techspot you could compare yourselves to other tech news sites and perhaps a few widely used general interest web sites. I haven't seen any reports on this type of thing so it might make interesting reading.

Mike

PS I do understand that sites such as this require money to run but some users are becoming quite wary of their use (and abuse). And thanks for running a really interesting web site!

#2 2021-05-14 11:57:44

HanBaoCinch

Re: Cookie use (and abuse) across the web

Sometimes we already have what we want, but didn't know were it was located.
On Firefox, under Options we have
Notice: it can Clear Data just by closing all windows

#3 2021-06-02 12:47:39

lolapolooza

Unfortunately I think most users are on Chrome these days smile The idea was more for an article showing how different web sites allow users to control the use of cookies on their computers. Hopefully tech news sites would be at the forefront of user control. I think it would make fairly interesting reading.

#4 2021-09-23 09:50:39

Makedonskiy

it would be nice if only cookies. I have a feeling that the sites of popular social networks sometimes spy or eavesdrop through the phone.

Board footer