uTalk

Official forum for Utopia Community

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-08 23:37:05

thrive

How to Think Like a Hacker and Avoid Threats

EPRLBo5.png

To be a successful cybersecurity analyst, you must first understand the characteristics, values, and thought processes of hackers, as well as the tools they use to launch their attacks.
A Red Team Researcher shared how you can use some of these tools for your own breach detection and prevention during a webinar called The Hacker Mindset. He also demonstrated how an attack takes place using the Follina exploit as an example.

So, what does "the hacker mindset" mean?

The hacker mindset can be characterized by three core values: a strong sense of curiosity, an adversarial attitude, and persistence.

3 core values of a hacker's mindset

1 — Curiosity might have killed the cat, but it had nine lives.
Curiosity drives hackers to explore and understand systems, networks, and software in order to identify vulnerabilities. Not only are they constantly seeking new knowledge and skills to improve their abilities and stay ahead of security measures, but they're also constantly applying newly learned approaches, tricks, and techniques in different systems. This is why I like Utopia's close source code.

2 — Move fast and break things

Although dramatically different in context from Facebook's blitz-scaling motto, an adversarial attitude is a mindset that is always looking for ways to defeat security measures, challenge the status quo, and push the boundaries of what is possible.

Hackers are often driven by a desire to prove their own abilities and to test the limits of systems and networks. Hackers constantly ask themselves: "how can I break this?", "how can I exploit this?", "how can I bend this to my will and cause maximum damage?" Cybersecurity teams, on the flip side, are focused on protection. However, employing an adversarial mindset is an essential critical thinking tool that can help drastically improve the organization's cyber posture by preemptively detecting and remediating vulnerabilities.

3 — Of course I struggle, I just don't quit

Persistence is an important trait for hackers as they often need to try multiple approaches and techniques in order to find a way into a system. They may encounter roadblocks and failures, but they don't give up easily. They'll will continue to work until they have achieved their goal.

Often hackers remind themselves that cybersecurity teams need to identify and remediate all vulnerabilities while a hacker needs to find only one. The relentless pursuit of vulnerabilities is at their core.

Why understanding MITRE ATT&CK is key

MITRE ATT&CK is a systematic way of understanding and defending against cyber threats by identifying the methods and techniques that attackers use to gain access to systems and steal or damage data.

The framework describes the tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) used by cyber attackers. It's used to help organizations understand and defend against cyber threats.

The framework is divided into different "matrices" which cover various types of threats like enterprise, mobile, and industrial control systems. Each matrix lists the different TTPs that attackers may use, like initial access, execution, persistence, and data exfiltration.

The goal of the MITRE ATT&CK framework is to provide a common language and understanding of the tactics and techniques used by attackers. This allows organizations to better identify and prioritize their security efforts, and to develop more effective defenses against cyber threats.

If you understand the framework, you're one step ahead in finding the right tools that will help you to gain visibility into critical assets like user data, endpoints, servers, and SaaS applications – allowing you to find the next vulnerability before it's exploited by a hacker.

Last edited by thrive (2023-02-08 23:39:21)

#2 2023-03-17 18:15:51

Cat

Re: How to Think Like a Hacker and Avoid Threats

this is a very interesting article, where did you get your information from ?

#3 2023-03-17 21:09:55

KAMSI_UG

Nice article it was really helpful, like they say to catch a thief you ought to think like one. But there are many schemes this bad eggs creates everyday, but securing yourself isn’t as complicated as we make it, just follow the necessary guidelines.

#4 2023-03-18 20:55:58

thrive

Cat;5807 wrote:

this is a very interesting article, where did you get your information from ?

If you're an enthusiast of innovative technology, privacy, and cyber security. You have to be updated about things happening online in other not to be a victim of new threats and security vulnerabilities. I get my information from the best sources.

#5 2023-03-18 21:12:27

IyaJJJ

KAMSI_UG;5871 wrote:

Nice article it was really helpful, like they say to catch a thief you ought to think like one. But there are many schemes this bad eggs creates everyday, but securing yourself isn’t as complicated as we make it, just follow the necessary guidelines.

Getting guidelines from a professional is one of the best ways to go far in every activity we participated in. You're right that hacker and theft always think outside the box and comes up with new ideas but avoiding human error with the inclusion of good guideline in the use of privacy tools is enough

#6 2023-03-24 14:54:27

misha220

Very informative post . Maybe I'll think about going deeper into this field

#7 2023-05-21 17:33:03

Comrade

Even actually joining Utopia p2p ecosystem you are one step ahead of hackers... And with all this mentioned the strength of a insecurities have been weaken.

#8 2023-05-21 19:56:49

crpuusd

Comrade;9512 wrote:

Even actually joining Utopia p2p ecosystem you are one step ahead of hackers... And with all this mentioned the strength of a insecurities have been weaken.

Its good you mentioned that, we can as well cultivated the attitude of being cautious with our datas and  capital

#9 2023-05-22 00:22:23

full

Comrade;9512 wrote:

The huge gravity of insecurities and bad actors attack to be a weaken is the reason why I am surprised about some cryptocurrencies and people that survey the internet who don't use privacy service.

#10 2023-05-22 23:16:12

joanna

crpuusd;9528 wrote:
Comrade;9512 wrote:

Its good you mentioned that, we can as well cultivated the attitude of being cautious with our datas and  capital

Meanwhile, the best way to be well informed in the area of being cautious is to prevent data or capital exposure.
What we need is the use of a privacy service and I believe we have everything on the UtopiaP2P ecosystem.

#11 2023-05-22 23:17:03

level

full;9659 wrote:
Comrade;9512 wrote:

The huge gravity of insecurities and bad actors attack to be a weaken is the reason why I am surprised about some cryptocurrencies and people that survey the internet who don't use privacy service.

You shouldn't be surprised because until some people learn a big lesson by not acknowledging privacy as something they importantly needed they will never use it.

#12 2023-05-22 23:17:33

Vastextension

level;9815 wrote:
full;9659 wrote:
Comrade;9512 wrote:

You shouldn't be surprised because until some people learn a big lesson by not acknowledging privacy as something they importantly needed they will never use it.

We have some people that have such habits and I could remember during the time covid-19 when some people claim they don't need the vaccine but later choose to take it after they had the covid-19

#13 2023-05-25 17:36:40

crpuusd

Vastextension;9816 wrote:
level;9815 wrote:
full;9659 wrote:

We have some people that have such habits and I could remember during the time covid-19 when some people claim they don't need the vaccine but later choose to take it after they had the covid-19

You cant be  safe when you actually refuse to choose a secured cover.The more you are expose to a free web the more you are closer to get bugs. Choose Utopia p2p for secure host

#14 2023-05-25 20:49:58

JONSNOWING

level;9815 wrote:
full;9659 wrote:
Comrade;9512 wrote:

They will rather run looking for help in the case of any  Internet scam  or crime that would haven simply avoided if the person set all necessary privacy and adhered to all privacy guidelines. I wonder why anyone wil joke  with anything as serious as Privacy with the way scams are going on in the internet today

#15 2023-05-26 15:24:07

crpuusd

JONSNOWING;10065 wrote:
level;9815 wrote:
full;9659 wrote:

They will rather run looking for help in the case of any  Internet scam  or crime that would haven simply avoided if the person set all necessary privacy and adhered to all privacy guidelines. I wonder why anyone wil joke  with anything as serious as Privacy with the way scams are going on in the internet today

Utopia have offer more effort to safe guard all users privacy and also make things more ok to bring more happiness to users and upcoming users.

#16 2023-05-26 18:22:41

JONSNOWING

Yes, and all their efforts are very visible to see

Yes, and all this efforts are very visible to its users that is why I keep on recommending the Utopia platform and it’s organizers because am yet to see a more organized platform that has the safety of its users in heart like this

#17 2023-05-26 22:02:10

oba

JONSNOWING;10065 wrote:
level;9815 wrote:
full;9659 wrote:

Whenever they run for help people ought to do the right for them so they would learn a big lesson and always advise others not to make the same mistake.

#18 2023-05-27 21:26:32

crpuusd

oba;10234 wrote:
JONSNOWING;10065 wrote:
level;9815 wrote:

They will rather run looking for help in the case of any  Internet scam  or crime that would haven simply avoided if the person set all necessary privacy and adhered to all privacy guidelines. I wonder why anyone wil joke  with anything66 as serious as Privacy with the way scams are going on in the int6ernet today

Whenever they run for help to you by 64 the rrr5g7t66t666frr ought to do the right for them so they would learnw 6 big lesson and always advise others not to make the same mistake.

The more you avoid things the more you fail and have no experience, experience is a price, pay your dues and be the master of knowledge .

#19 2023-05-27 22:03:10

Europ

crpuusd;10370 wrote:
oba;10234 wrote:
JONSNOWING;10065 wrote:

They will rather run looking for help in the case of any  Internet scam  or crime that would haven simply avoided if the person set all necessary privacy and adhered to all privacy guidelines. I wonder why anyone wil joke  with anything66 as serious as Privacy with the way scams are going on in the int6ernet today

Whenever they run for help to you by 64 the rrr5g7t66t666frr ought to do the right for them so they would learnw 6 big lesson and always advise others not to make the same mistake.

The more you avoid things the more you fail and have no experience, experience is a price, pay your dues and be the master of knowledge .

If knowledge is hidden buy it there is no success that comes so easy, its only you believe and secured what you have then a safe trip to profit is acquired.

#20 2023-05-28 19:08:04

Comrade

Europ;10391 wrote:
crpuusd;10370 wrote:
oba;10234 wrote:

If knowledge is hidden buy it there is no success that comes so easy, its only you believe and secured what you have then a safe trip to profit is acquired.

One thing i always tell people is that, Your Safety cones first. Secure it, maintain it and groom your space with it

#21 2023-05-29 18:15:58

JONSNOWING

I think the cryptocurrency forums should by now to some extent be good knowledge platforms for its members. Hackers  should by now not be given opportunities to steal if members can treat security as the most important and not clicking on links and getting involved In Ponzi schemes

#22 2023-05-31 19:35:31

crpuusd

JONSNOWING;10653 wrote:

I think the cryptocurrency forums should by now to some extent be good knowledge platforms for its members. Hackers  should by now not be given opportunities to steal if members can treat security as the most important and not clicking on links and getting involved In Ponzi schemes

Exactly, the way informations are leaked are through peoples careless act and engagement. Its safe to stay on a safer side. Knowledge is to be impact on daily basic to strengthen users and know the essence of Utopia p2p standards and benefits added .

#23 2023-06-01 21:52:39

Europ

crpuusd;11115 wrote:
JONSNOWING;10653 wrote:

Exactly, the way informations are leaked are through peoples careless act and engagement. Its safe to stay on a safer side. Knowledge is to be impact on daily basic to strengthen users and know the essence of Utopia p2p standards and benefits added .

More development or invention of new security structures should be implemented  for 100% secured storage. As far as things are getting digital and technical definitely more threat are expected. The only thing keeping us now is the secured Utopia service.

#24 2023-06-04 19:22:38

JONSNOWING

And the secured Utopia service has helped them gain a lot of trust from its users and their traffic for intending users. 
And am sure they will meet up all standards as long they continue to serve its users rightly in all its features

#25 2023-06-04 19:41:12

Comrade

JONSNOWING;11912 wrote:

And the secured Utopia service has helped them gain a lot of trust from its users and their traffic for intending users. 
And am sure they will meet up all standards as long they continue to serve its users rightly in all its features

Yeah. The Utopia p2p ecosystem as turn out to be more relevant and widely known of it great value of serving people in a best secured way.

Board footer