uTalk

Official forum for Utopia Community

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-19 07:42:17

Cat

FBI: Cryptocurrency fraud incidents increase by 183% in 2022

FBI: Cryptocurrency fraud incidents increase by 183% in 2022

The US Federal Bureau of Investigation has reported that cryptocurrency fraud has increased by 183% to $2.57 billion in 2022. In 2021, the figure was as high as $907 million.
The data from the FBI's 2022 Internet Crime Report is based on information from the Internet Crime Complaint Centre (IC3). The agency said that claims of financial investment fraud as a whole rose 127% from $1.45 billion in 2021 to $3.31 billion in 2022. In 2021, $907 million came from cryptocurrencies.

"Digital asset investment fraud has led to an unprecedented increase in the number of victims. Many investors have gone into huge debts to cover losses from failed investments in cryptocurrency schemes. Scammers are most often targeting the 30 to 49 age group," the FBI said.

The agency said the most common cryptocurrency crimes involve liquidity mining, hacking into social media accounts, and acting on behalf of celebrities and employees of real estate and employment companies. According to the FBI, criminals based overseas defrauded their victims of more than $2 billion last year using the above schemes.

The FBI recently warned of scammers creating applications disguised as blockchain-based games based on the Play-to-Earn concept. After downloading such apps, users lose crypto-assets.

#2 2023-03-20 21:54:01

IyaJJJ

Re: FBI: Cryptocurrency fraud incidents increase by 183% in 2022

Let's agree that cryptocurrency fraudulent activity incidents increased by 183% but what fiat currency in which fraudulent activity was carried out through it every single hour?
This is why i never like the type of research and statement because it give crypto bad reputation whereas the incident is worse in fiat currency.

#3 2023-03-20 22:11:41

full

IyaJJJ;6278 wrote:

Let's agree that cryptocurrency fraudulent activity incidents increased by 183% but what fiat currency in which fraudulent activity was carried out through it every single hour?
This is why i never like the type of research and statement because it give crypto bad reputation whereas the incident is worse in fiat currency.

This is why I never like the Feds and the government sometimes. They know the truth that about a billion fraudulent activities are done every day in fiat currency but they won't mention it while they will only talk about the little fraudulent activity done in crypto.

#4 2023-03-20 22:16:36

joanna

full;6281 wrote:
IyaJJJ;6278 wrote:

This is why I never like the Feds and the government sometimes. They know the truth that about a billion fraudulent activities are done every day in fiat currency but they won't mention it while they will only talk about the little fraudulent activity done in crypto.

I think it's not their fault but the code of conduct they operate in. Politics is a game of getting your hands dirty and doing what its time to get what you want. Could remember Trump's ex-strategy that was against crypto when he was in office that later support crypto when he leave office.

#5 2023-03-20 22:28:31

thrive

joanna;6284 wrote:
full;6281 wrote:
IyaJJJ;6278 wrote:

I think it's not their fault but the code of conduct they operate in. Politics is a game of getting your hands dirty and doing what its time to get what you want. Could remember Trump's ex-strategy that was against crypto when he was in office that later support crypto when he leave office.

They always play this game to make the people believe nothing happens that they are doing a really good job and that the problem is not caused by their unprofessional decision. They understand the potential of crypto but choose not to support it because of their selfish gain.

#6 2023-03-21 11:26:27

Cat

IyaJJJ;6278 wrote:

I think they are deliberately spoiling cryptocurrency, I don't think the government benefits from it. You don't pay taxes on it, they can't keep track of how much money you have.

#7 2023-03-21 11:28:26

Cat

joanna;6284 wrote:

It is better to stay out of politics, mere mortals don't understand it. I mean, no connections to influential people and no finances, but you shouldn't idle away to avoid turning into a dumb herd. Such is the paradox.

#8 2023-03-21 11:29:32

Cat

thrive;6288 wrote:

They always play this game to make the people believe nothing happens that they are doing a really good job and that the problem is not caused by their unprofessional decision. They understand the potential of crypto but choose not to support it because of their selfish gain.

I think they are stalling, like you said they see her potential and want to gain as much from it as possible.

#9 2023-03-21 23:07:05

IyaJJJ

Cat;6334 wrote:
IyaJJJ;6278 wrote:

I think they are deliberately spoiling cryptocurrency, I don't think the government benefits from it. You don't pay taxes on it, they can't keep track of how much money you have.

I know they are doing it on purpose but how would they benefit from cryptocurrency through taxes when they never supported it or do something that makes crypto get the needed help.

#10 2023-03-21 23:10:06

joanna

Cat;6335 wrote:
joanna;6284 wrote:

It is better to stay out of politics, mere mortals don't understand it. I mean, no connections to influential people and no finances, but you shouldn't idle away to avoid turning into a dumb herd. Such is the paradox.

I never support or want to take part in politic but I never ignore the needed information about it that will keep me informed about things around me.
Having said that, the influencer can't be trusted either.

#11 2023-03-21 23:17:04

thrive

Cat;6336 wrote:
thrive;6288 wrote:

I think they are stalling, like you said they see her potential and want to gain as much from it as possible.

If they truly understand the potential of cryptocurrency and want something good for their people they ought to support it while the provide the needed security to make it reach the mainstream of payment.

#12 2023-03-22 11:58:31

Cat

thrive;6431 wrote:

If they truly understand the potential of cryptocurrency and want something good for their people they ought to support it while the provide the needed security to make it reach the mainstream of payment.

First they want to line their pockets with money and then give the people the pennies they couldn't share.

#13 2023-03-22 20:48:44

CrytoCynthia

I don’t know why they blame crypto currency on every fraud case and corruption cases we forget that even before cryptocurrency took center stage fraud, corruption and even money laundering existed.

#14 2023-03-23 10:02:44

Cat

CrytoCynthia;6530 wrote:

I don’t know why they blame crypto currency on every fraud case and corruption cases we forget that even before cryptocurrency took center stage fraud, corruption and even money laundering existed.

It seems to me that, at the moment, the government simply does not benefit from people using cryptocurrency. After all, the government cannot track what and how you do with your finances.

Board footer