uTalk

Official forum for Utopia Community

You are not logged in.

#51 2023-03-15 18:29:30

Detroit

Re: Only in English?

migyolman;958 wrote:

Are you going to create a room for people who speak other languages such as Spanish? Or is it mandatory to write only in English?

Thank you

I don't think it's compulsory to speak only the English language here. The only reason English is dominant here is that the majority of users are using English to communicate with one another.  So, if another language should come up they might create a board for them too.

#52 2023-03-15 18:31:51

Cat

Lanistergame2;5550 wrote:

It somehow winds up as the predominant language cause it is the most popular by spread across the globe and not number of users speaking it. Platforms usually use English as the default and the create local boards for the different languages, hopefully we have such boards in the future on uTalk.

why exactly English? would not call it the simplest language

#53 2023-03-17 18:41:30

Lanistergame2

Cat;5561 wrote:

I already explained as best as I could. It is the language with the most spread in the world and also spoken by more than a billion people in the world, along with mandarin, just more common on the different continents.

This is the same reason many other discussion forums are by default using English language rather than others.

#54 2023-03-17 20:54:24

Detroit

Lanistergame2;5817 wrote:
Cat;5561 wrote:

I already explained as best as I could. It is the language with the most spread in the world and also spoken by more than a billion people in the world, along with mandarin, just more common on the different continents.

This is the same reason many other discussion forums are by default using English language rather than others.

Many people seem not to understand English is the default setting in most sites and apps. So it will take a while for it to be able to communicate in other languages. I see the Utopia community moving in that direction.

#55 2023-03-18 07:46:57

Camavinga

Detroit;5559 wrote:

I don't think it's compulsory to speak only the English language here. The only reason English is dominant here is that the majority of users are using English to communicate with one another.  So, if another language should come up they might create a board for them too.

For that to happen, local boards have to be created, English is the most popular language in the world, that is why it is used for communication in the main boards here, and for now there is no local board, so i think if someone posts a topic or someone replies to a topic with another language other than English, it should be deleted, when there is enough traffic, a few local boards would be created.

#56 2023-03-18 12:37:54

Lanistergame2

Detroit;5862 wrote:

Many people seem not to understand English is the default setting in most sites and apps. So it will take a while for it to be able to communicate in other languages. I see the Utopia community moving in that direction.

I would say many people do if they use most sites and apps and pay attention to the nuances in them.

If there is enough demand for another language then the admins would consider it. For not, I cannot see any language barrier so there is no pressing need now. With more growth we would be moving in that direction.

#57 2023-03-18 14:37:51

Cat

Lanistergame2;5951 wrote:

I would say many people do if they use most sites and apps and pay attention to the nuances in them.

If there is enough demand for another language then the admins would consider it. For not, I cannot see any language barrier so there is no pressing need now. With more growth we would be moving in that direction.

So, for example, if a lot of Chinese users come, will you allow Chinese too? Isn't it easier and more democratic to keep English?

#58 2023-03-18 16:49:45

Detroit

Cat;5963 wrote:
Lanistergame2;5951 wrote:

So, for example, if a lot of Chinese users come, will you allow Chinese too? Isn't it easier and more democratic to keep English?

It's not democratic of you to keep only English and not the two of them. Some people are using Chinese because that's what they understand.  You don't being a sword into a gun fight.  If we're talking about democracy here then we should be able to support both languages.

#59 2023-03-20 08:50:50

Camavinga

Cat;5963 wrote:

If a whole lot of Chinese users come to this forum or any other nationality too, and it greatly increases the traffic in the forum, i think the moderators might consider creating a local section for that nationality, and still keep English as the language for the main boards, but if 1 or 2 users from a particular country comes requesting for a local section, i don’t think the admin would listen to them.

#60 2023-03-20 17:49:00

Lanistergame2

Cat;5963 wrote:

If they cannot communicate in English or do not wish to, they can petition the admins to give them a local section, they already have the demand and activity to fill up the board.

This should kick-start the local section as other nationalities move to have their corner where they can discuss in their comfortable language and with people with similar experiences.

#61 2023-03-20 18:07:40

Detroit

Lanistergame2;6229 wrote:
Cat;5963 wrote:

If they cannot communicate in English or do not wish to, they can petition the admins to give them a local section, they already have the demand and activity to fill up the board.

This should kick-start the local section as other nationalities move to have their corner where they can discuss in their comfortable language and with people with similar experiences.

That's a good idea.  But don't you think they will feel left out from the main boards?  How about installing translators so they keep everyone together and not making one party left out? It's just a suggestion anyway.

#62 2023-03-20 18:13:43

Lanistergame2

Detroit;6234 wrote:

That's a good idea.  But don't you think they will feel left out from the main boards?
How about installing translators so they keep everyone together and not making one party left out? It's just a suggestion anyway.

Not at all. They are free to interact in the main boards and also their local boards. I have seen it work in other forums and it does not limit anyone, it instead helps those who cannot speak English fluently.

Translators is not a feasible alternative for the forum.

#63 2023-03-21 07:39:48

Camavinga

I hope you guys know that when writing in English as a non-native speaker, you don’t really have to be as fluent as someone who is a native speaker, your words could be laden with errors in both sematics, syntax and the rest of them, but what is most important is that what you have written can be understood. I have read a lot of things written by people who can’t speak English, but i don’t find it too hard to understand what they are trying to say. So have that in mind that your English does not have to be perfect.

#64 2023-03-21 18:37:55

Lanistergame2

Discussions on what language the forum operates in should only come up when a language barrier exists and there are those with no knowledge of the language who cannot communicate on the forum, till then there is no demand for other boards and no discrimination against any group of members.

I would definitely support the creation of local boards when the need arises.

#65 2023-03-21 19:54:25

CrytoCynthia

I am lots right now isn’t the forum already an all English forum? I have rarely seen any other language being brought up here or is there any other thing I am missing out on.

#66 2023-03-21 20:41:54

KAMSI_UG

CrytoCynthia;6372 wrote:

I am lots right now isn’t the forum already an all English forum? I have rarely seen any other language being brought up here or is there any other thing I am missing out on.

Yes majority of conversations here on the forum is in English that’s quite alright but I think in the near future there should be an implementation of some other language here in the forum.

#67 2023-03-22 09:55:04

Camavinga

CrytoCynthia;6372 wrote:

It is an all English forum for now, and that is because there is no demand for another language, if we suddenly get traffic from people of a particular region that do not speak English, then i think the forum would create a local board for them, so as to accommodate them.

#68 2023-03-22 17:19:20

Lanistergame2

KAMSI_UG;6377 wrote:

Yes majority of conversations here on the forum is in English that’s quite alright but I think in the near future there should be an implementation of some other language here in the forum.

In the future there would be implementation if there is demand for it. When there is a higher presence of non English speakers, there would be a need for provisions for those speakers to communicate with one another.

Till then, the forum is operating quite fine.

#69 2023-03-22 20:27:21

Detroit

Lanistergame2;6492 wrote:
KAMSI_UG;6377 wrote:

In the future there would be implementation if there is demand for it. When there is a higher presence of non English speakers, there would be a need for provisions for those speakers to communicate with one another.

Yeah,  that absolutely right. The forum is doing just fine as you said and when non-English speakers get here and needs a new board for them the administration knows what to do.

#70 2023-03-22 21:43:22

KAMSI_UG

Detroit;6523 wrote:
Lanistergame2;6492 wrote:
KAMSI_UG;6377 wrote:

Yeah,  that absolutely right. The forum is doing just fine as you said and when non-English speakers get here and needs a new board for them the administration knows what to do.

Yea for now we have more of English speaking users and we have to respect everyone for now and then later on other languages can be added in.

#71 2023-03-23 14:16:53

Camavinga

I don’t think anyone is complaining about language for now, i can only see that there is only one topic like this in the entire forum, so we should not worry about this and just move on. Rome was not built in a day, so the forum devs are taking things one step at a time, once there is demand in large numbers for a partucular thing, then i think they would not hesitate to add it.

#72 2023-05-23 18:52:13

crpuusd

Camavinga;6600 wrote:

I don’t think anyone is complaining about language for now, i can only see that there is only one topic like this in the entire forum, so we should not worry about this and just move on. Rome was not built in a day, so the forum devs are taking things one step at a time, once there is demand in large numbers for a partucular thing, then i think they would not hesitate to add it.

I will like us to know that this forum is open for all users in support Utopia p2p ecosystem and CRP improvement so languages shouldn't be barrier .

#73 2023-05-23 20:16:47

KAMSI_UG

crpuusd;9876 wrote:
Camavinga;6600 wrote:

I will like us to know that this forum is open for all users in support Utopia p2p ecosystem and CRP improvement so languages shouldn't be barrier .

Well this days it's easier to Learn the language, especially English there are many sites and application that can help someone understand English more

#74 2023-05-23 20:27:08

Detroit

The English language is one of the most spoken languages in the world. Understanding the English Language is very important and underrated.

#75 2023-05-23 20:45:40

Europ

Hello, i am new  here, UTOPIA is already a suited and well publicize English forum and as much we can as well make do with English as follow in the introduction of the site, and if there is any updates in other languages we ought to have translator as well.

Board footer